Beer is so much better when toasting together with friends and loved ones, and you won’t find a better place to do that in February than at this year’s Winterfest–the biggest ever. The beerfest takes place Saturday, February 1 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.
We at Bloomington Brewing Co. will be pouring 12 11 beers during the fest (read on to find out which ones), but if those dozen reasons aren’t enough to get you out of your hibernation, here are three more:
- New digs. With so many people coming out to enjoy some of Indiana’s finest craft beers (as well as a few brews from beyond Indiana), Winterfest has outgrown the Indiana State Fairgrounds Agricultural Building’s capacity. This year, Winterfest moves into the Champions Pavilion, with over 60,000 square feet to move about freely to any one of the more than 200 selections of beer to choose from. That means more tickets for the public (5,000 to be exact) and more opportunities to try some of the best beers being made in not only the Midwest, but the nation. Winterfest will have more than a few winners of the GABF, World Cup of Beer, and the Indiana State Fair Brewers’ Cup Competition serving their finest. Odds are good you’ll get to try some of the same beers that won those prestigious awards.
- Proceeds from Winterfest go to help amazing charities like Joy’s House. Joy’s House is an adult day service which “helps provide physical, mental and financial relief for families taking care of a loved one.” This non-profit, located in Broad Ripple, helps those with physical and mental disabilities and gives caregivers relief when needed. When you spend your hard earned money on a ticket to Winterfest, it’s nice to know that it’s going to a wonderful organization dedicated to helping others in need.
- BBC’s biggest beerfest showing yet. Bloomington Brewing Co. is bringing out a great lineup of some of the best beer we’ve ever made. Some of it is from our 2013 brews (some aged in bourbon barrels). Others are brand new and will be showcased at Winterfest before you can taste them anywhere else. Then there’s the famous Randall. Rye IPA–made with Indiana grown organic rye malt–will flow through the Randall at Winterfest. Our ingredients for the Randall are a secret for now, but rest assured they will will light up your taste buds. Here’s the full BBC lineup for Winterfest:
- Ruby Bloom Amber
- Quarrymen Pale Ale
- Rooftop IPA
- Krampus Strong Ale
- Bourbon Barrel Stout (Pin Firkin)
- Bourbon Barrel Replicale
- Bourbon Barrel Roggenbier
- Ol’ Floyd’s Belgian Dark Strong Ale
- Winter Ale
- Java Porter
- Rye IPA Hop-Infused Randall
- Imperial Ruby (Imperial Ruby wasn’t quite ready, but rest assured it will arrive soon.)
We look forward to seeing you at this year’s BIG Winterfest. Stop by, say hello and have a sample or three.
And don’t forget to have a ride home ready. Winterfest sells Designated Driver tickets for only $10–that’s much cheaper than the consequences of driving under the influence. We encourage all who come to be safe in their travels as they leave. It’s fun to enjoy the best of what Indiana craft beer has to offer. But it’s even better when we all can get back to our homes safe and sound.
Thanks for supporting local, craft beer. Cheers!